As we march ever closer to the November election, Democrats and Republicans—and their presumptive nominees Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump—have leveraged the recent tragedies in Orlando and Dallas to advance an anti-gun agenda that has as its ultimate objective, a complete repeal of the Second Amendment. And as I shared with you yesterday, Obama is even looking to leverage these tragedies as a way to create a 21st century Gestapo where state and local police would be directly controlled by the federal government.
While the Democrats in particular attempt to convince America that their anti-gun rhetoric is about our safety and not our second amendment rights, the just-released draft of the Democrat Party platform makes one thing perfectly clear—they’re coming for our guns.
Beginning with the inflated claim that 33,000 Americans die annually from gun violence—a number that is about 66% higher than the actual number of about 10,000-11,000—the party platform commits the Dem party to do the following:
- Expand background checks
- Close loopholes in current law
- Ban an entire category of weapons from sale to the public
- Criminally punish Federal Firearms License holders (dealers) and gun manufacturers for crimes committed with guns.
Here’s what it says exactly:
“We will expand background checks, and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws, hold irresponsible dealers and manufacturers responsible, keep weapons of war—such as assault weapons—off our streets, and ensure guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists, domestic abusers, other violent criminals, and those with severe mental health issues.”
- Holding dealers and manufacturers accountable? That is simply politispeak for allowing the government to sue dealers and manufacturers in order to eventually drive them out of business—an idea Democrats have proposed in the past.
- The term weapons of war is intentionally vague in order to allow the government at any time to identify any gun as a weapon of war, although it is assumed the AR-15 and other scary-looking guns are the initial target..
- The words terrorists, domestic abusers, etc. is also intentionally vague. While unenforceable, it gives the government another avenue to deny any individual their gun rights.
Actually, this radical list of suggestions is quite tame compared to earlier discussions on the subject when platform committee member and businesswoman Bonnie Schaefer went as far as to say that no one should even be allowed to own any guns.
One final thought, if these ideas had been law weeks ago, Orlando still would have happened.
David Leach is the owner of The Strident Conservative, your source for opinion that’s politically-incorrect and always “right.” His articles can also be found on RedState.com.
His daily radio commentary is nationally syndicated with Salem Radio Network and can be heard on stations across America.