Fresh off their unconstitutional ruling striking down the Tenth Amendment right for the state of Texas to regulate abortion facilities and the doctors who perform the “medical” procedure, the Supreme Court took another swipe at the Constitution in the name of so-called reproductive health. In this round they targeted the First Amendment, specifically the freedom of religion.
Yesterday, the Supremes turned away an appeal by a family-owned pharmacy that objected to providing abortifacient drugs based on their Christian beliefs; leaving the ruling of the lower court–San Francisco-based Ninth Circuit Court of appeals–in place. The Washington state law requires pharmacies to deliver all prescribed drugs, including abortifacients. While clearly another example of the court’s infatuation with abortion (something not in the Constitution), their unwillingness to consider a case involving religious liberty (something that is in the Constitution) is particularly disconcerting.
As time goes by, it’s becoming crystal clear that liberals–whether on the bench, in Congress or in the White House–have decided that the only way to successfully advance their “progressive” socio-Marxist agenda is to destroy the document many on the left consider obsolete . . . the Constitution.
Here are just a few recent examples of their modus operandi along with the section of the Constitution it violates:
- Criminalizing global warming deniers (First Amendment right to free speech). This is now part of the Democrat Party platform.
- Criminalizing critics of Obama‘s immigration policies (First Amendment right to free speech).
- Banning guns (Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms).
- Banning due process in order to ban guns (Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments).
- Forcing private groups such as the Boy Scouts to accept homosexuals (First Amendment right of association).
- Forcing Christian-owned businesses to provide services for homosexual marriages (First Amendment right to freedom of religion).
Since liberals love murdering the unborn almost as much as they love promoting sexually-deviant behavior, this latest
decision non-decision was a no-brainer. However, according to Justice Samuel Alito–who was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Clarence Thomas–it’s a decision with devastating consequences:
“If this is a sign of how religious liberty claims will be treated in the years ahead, those who value religious freedom have cause for great concern.”
It looks like we truly are living an a post-constitutional America.
David Leach is the owner of The Strident Conservative, your source for opinion that’s politically-incorrect and always “right.” His articles can also be found on RedState.com.
His daily radio commentary is nationally syndicated with Salem Radio Network and can be heard on stations across America.