As a conservative who’s able to cut through the political noise well enough to see that Trumpism is being sold as conservatism, I’m never surprised by the responses I receive from the cult when I point out how unfit the egomaniacal narcissist from New York is to be president.
For example, yesterday’s article about Trump’s plan to go to court to void the First Amendment prompted many of the same unimaginative and lame comments that have become the norm from members of the cult, such as these gems from my Facebook page:
- “Trump is protecting the first amendment [sic]. Whoever wrote this headline is crazy.”
- “Liberal trolls are everywhere and you are just one of many. True conservatives aren’t fooled.”
- “I wonder if this age [sic] is actually from someone on the left.”
- “Didn’t Obama say the Constitution is outdated?”
- “SOMEBODY HAS BEEN WATCHING TOO MUCH OF THE COMMUNIST NEWS NETWORK [sic].”
- “More fake junk from the left.”
- “The media IS the enemy of the American people, you morons!”
Also included was a generous sprinkling of the letters “BS”, along with a heaping cup of profanities I’m unable to share but have deleted from my page.
By the way, have you ever noticed how “leftist” the Trump cult becomes when they are attacking you as a leftist for not supporting the leftist in the White House?
Another comment I received came in the form of a question, “When has Trump ever attacked the constitution?” Stop laughing. They really asked me this.
I’m guessing (hoping?) this person was asking this rhetorically because I have documented a long list of attacks on the Constitution by the New York liberal. Since 2016, freedom of speech has been only one of Trump’s many attacks on the Constitution.
- Trump targeted freedom of speech when he sought new regulations to ban demonstrations and protests in Washington.
- He targeted the Second Amendment when he embraced Nancy Pelosi’s gun-control agenda, banned bump stocks, pushed for enhanced background checks and red flag laws.
- In addition to being a violation of the Second Amendment, red flag laws also violate the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments’ guarantee of due process protection.
- Under the banner of “sensible gun control,” Trump has proposed using home-based technology such as Apple Watches, Amazon Echo, and Google Home to spy on people and collect data to identify individuals who exhibit characteristics of mental illness that could lead to violent behavior in violation of the Fourth Amendment.
These are just a few examples; you can find many more on the website.
Unfortunately, Trump’s hatred for the Constitution continues. Yesterday, he went on a rant about how he was forced to cancel his plans to host the 2020 G7 at his golf club in Florida, blaming Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution (Emoluments Clause) for ruining his big payday. Trump called the constitutional restriction that prevents him from using the presidency for personal financial gain “phony.”
I’ll never cease to be amazed that there are people in America who continue to defend one of the most dangerous threats we’ve ever had to our constitutional rights . . . calling themselves conservative as they do so.
David Leach is the owner of The Strident Conservative.
His daily radio commentary is distributed by the Salem Radio Network and is heard on stations across America.