In the movie The Matrix, there’s a scene where Morpheus reveals to Neo that the Matrix is a world created to prevent humans from discovering that they are slaves to an unknown world.
Faced with the difficult choice of escaping the slave world or returning to the comfort of the world he knows, Neo is given a choice when Morpheus holds out a capsule on each of his hands:
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”
Much like the Matrix, Washington DC has become a corruption-filled world that prevents Americans from living a life of liberty and freedom. Just like Neo, America needs a Morpheus to show her the truth.
Well, I have good news. Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO) is the Morpheus we need, and his new book, Drain the Swamp: How Washington Corruption is Worse Than You Think, is the red pill that shows us “how deep the rabbit hole goes.”
Based on his experiences since going to Washington to represent the citizens of Colorado’s 4th District, Rep. Buck exposes the corruption and backroom deals used by the establishment in both parties to maintain the status quo and protect incumbency.
Motivated by his love and appreciation of the Constitution, along with a burning desire to make a real difference for America’s future, Rep. Buck takes us behind the scenes to show us:
- How Washington values are diametrically opposed to American values.
- Why bipartisanship in Washington is a bad thing (it’s driving America to bankruptcy).
- How money is used to buy power (committee assignments, Chairmanships, and even the Speaker job).
- How nearly one-third of government spending is illegal.
- How party bosses lie, cheat, and steal in order to force their members to do their bidding, or else–and he names names.
While there are many in Washington who talk about draining the swamp, Rep. Buck reveals in shocking detail exactly what the swamp is, why it must be drained to save our Republic, and why is has been so difficult to do so.
While Buck pulls no punches about how the Washington Establishment ignores America’s needs in order to take care of its own selfish ambitions, he also provides some powerful suggestions on how to reverse course, including:
- Five things Donald Trump can immediately do to “drain the swamp” as he promised.
- How to use the Constitution to stop Congress from spending us into oblivion.
- How state legislatures can force Washington to balance the budget and impose term limits.
- How to “throw the bums out” along with other reforms to give power back to the people.
- Specific actions the American people can take to help “drain the swamp.”
Rep. Buck reminds us that “we need to get back to a basic understanding of what the Constitution requires of the federal government,” and how “government power should be small and limited.” This needs to be the goal if we are to successfully “drain the swamp.” But this won’t happen if we, the American people, don’t do the job:
“Draining the swamp won’t happen if left to Congress alone. It will require brave, vigilant, and active Americans who require their representatives in Congress to do what they have been elected to do.”
Rep. Ken Buck is such a representative, and America needs more men and women like him. America has lost its way due to corruption and the blatant disregard given the Constitution by those in power. It’s time to change that, and I heartily recommend Drain the Swamp as an excellent way to make it happen.
David Leach is the owner of The Strident Conservative, your source for opinion that’s politically incorrect and always “right.” His articles are also featured on RedState.com.
His daily radio commentary is nationally syndicated via Salem Radio Network and can be heard on stations across America.