Liberals tell us that new gun control laws are needed to protect citizens from being a victim of gun violence—as we all know, criminals follow the law when they commit a crime—or, at the very least, they are needed to reduce the likelihood of being a victim. They will tell you that they “respect” the rights of hunters and how these new laws won’t interfere with “legitimate” gun rights.
Of course, they are wrong.
Conservatives will say that new gun control laws aren’t about protecting citizens at all—apparently, criminals really don’t follow the law when they commit a crime—but instead, serve to disarm legal gun owners. They will tell you about how the definition of an “assault weapon” is too broad, affecting pistols and shotguns. Gun control, they conclude, isn’t really about guns—it’s about control.
While closer to being accurate, they too are wrong.
Gun control is really about killing the Constitution. If you doubt it, consider the extreme measures being considered in several states across the nation.
Missouri: House Bill 545 has been introduced. Besides affecting handguns and shotguns—weapons that many liberals assure you will stay legal for hunting and personal security—this bill has a provision that will turn existing legal gun owners into criminals. Here’s part of the Democratic proposal:
4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.
5. Unlawful manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine is a class C felony.
Minnesota: H.F. No. 241 has been introduced in Al Franken’s home state. It would also affect certain shotguns and handguns, along with carrying provisions similar to the Missouri legislation. On September 1, 2013, owners of these “assault weapons” would be required to do the following:
(1) remove the weapon from the state;
(2) surrender the weapon to a law enforcement agency for destruction;
(3) render the weapon permanently inoperable; or
(4) if eligible, register the weapon as provided in Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133, subdivision 5.
Washington: S.B. 5737 is being considered for passage. Just like we see in the MO and MN bills, the definition of an “assault weapon” includes shotguns and handguns. However, in addition to the requirements of remove, surrender, or render existing weapons, Washington proposed an troubling enforcement mechanism:
“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall … safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.” (emphasis added)
Since provision came to light, legislators claim that this was an error and have since removed it. But it should be troubling to every American that there are politicians who are willing to attempt an end-run around the Fourth Amendment—unreasonable search and seizure—in addition to ignoring the Second.
More evidence of the true mindset of the gun control extremists can be seen in a recent interview with the Chicago, IL. Chief-of-Police. According to this genius, Chicago—where 440 children were shot in 2012 despite some of the most stringent gun-control laws in the nation—would be a safer place if not for that pesky, dangerous, obsolete Second Amendment.
A recent editorial in America – The National Catholic Review called for the outright repeal of the Second Amendment. Maybe it just me, but don’t you find it a bit ironic that these guys don’t believe gun owners should be able to fight unconstitutional gun laws using the Second Amendment, but they feel justified in fighting the Obamacare contraception mandate using the First Amendment. I’m pretty sure that Nazi Germany took the guns first, and then killed the religious guys (Jews). Just sayin’.
Prior to cramming a new batch of anti-gun legislation down the throats of New Yorkers—which cost him in the polls—Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) stated that confiscation could be an option in order to enforce his changes.
Not to be outdone, the Federal Government is doing its part to disarm America and kill the Constitution.
Vice President Joe Biden, a constitutional law professor—the number one concern of this administration comes down to a three-letter word: GUNS. G-U-N-S, Guns—donned his lobbyist cap to persuade the Colorado legislature to help Obama’s Constitution-killing, anti-gun agenda by passing a batch of anti-gun laws to send an “important signal” to the nation. Of course, the proud state of Califorado—the new name of the Centennial state meant to reflect the current Californication of the once great state of Colorado—was all too proud to do their part.
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) is pushing AWB 2.0 (assault weapons ban, version 2) in
overreaction response to the Sandy Hook school shooting. This follows the successful AWB 1.0 version that prevented was in effect during the Columbine school shooting. Besides the arbitrary list of guns that will be banned—she apparently doesn’t like “scary-looking” guns—her legislation is similar to the state versions mentioned above, in that it includes an arbitrary list of shotguns and handguns. And despite her claims to the contrary, her motivation is clear when it comes to gun control:
If I could’ve gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them — Mr. and Mrs. America turn ’em all in — I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here. – Dianne Feinstein in a 1995 broadcast of CBS’s 60 Minutes
When it comes to the anti-gun hysteria of the left, it isn’t about safety; it isn’t about guns; it isn’t about control. It is about disarming America and killing the Constitution.
“Never trust a government that doesn’t trust its own citizens with guns.”
– Benjamin Franklin
What others had to say:
- Chicago Police Chief: Second Amendment Is A Danger To Public Safety – RedState.com
- Mistake in gun bill could defeat the effort – Seattle Times
- Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms – Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons – The Gateway Pundit
- MN Democrats Introduce Law to Confiscate Guns… Give Gun Owners 6 Months to Turn in Weapons – The Gateway Pundit
- WA gun bill includes police searches without warrants – HotAir.com