The power to pardon by the President is granted by the United States Constitution, Article II, Section 2:
The President … shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.
Since the murder convictions of ”Doctor” Kermit Gosnell involved state and not federal crimes, Obama is unable to pardon him, but there’s plenty of evidence to indicate that he would if he could. They include:
1. Going all the way back to his days in the Illinois legislature, Obama voted—something he rarely did, choosing to just be “present” when it came time to take a position on an issue—against ”Born Alive” laws. As President, he appointed John Holdren as his Science Czar. In a book published in 1977, which Holdren co-authored with Paul Ehrlich and Anne Ehrlich, he suggested that the government intervene, if necessary, to reduce the number of children born. In addition, Holdren co-authored the book, Human Ecology: Problems and Solutions, where he suggested that a baby wasn’t a human being until “given the essential early socializing experiences and sufficient nourishing food during the crucial early years after birth.” Using that definition, Gosnell wasn’t killing humans, he was solving a problem of human ecology.
2. Gosnell is black, and according to his attorney, that’s the only reason the Pennsylvania abortionist was on trial. Obama has established a long track record of getting involved in local issues whenever race is involved. From the arrest of his friend Henry Louis Gates—the police acted stupidly, remember?—to the death of his imaginary son, Trayvon Martin, Obama has never shied from interfering with non-federal issues. As the leader of a ”nation of cowards” when it comes to matters of race—at least, that’s how Attorney General Eric Holder describes America—Obama could right this terrible wrong.
3. Speaking of Eric Holder. Did you know that he and his wife have a personal financial interest in the baby-killing industry, and that one of the doctors working at their abortion factory is under indictment for Medicaid fraud? Did you also know that, in his testimony on Capitol Hill this week, he was unable to provide a single case where his office enforced the federal Born-Alive Infant Protection Act? Gee, the Obama Department of Justice choosing to ignore laws they don’t agree with? What are the odds? It’s not like we’re talking about illegal immigration, the Defense of Marriage Act, drug enforcement, etc.
Kermit Gosnell killed babies outside of the womb and they called it murder. Yet, under the convictions—or lack thereof—held by Obama, this was really more like an expanded version of a woman’s right to choose.
The Constitution prevents Obama from issuing a pardon to Gosnell—although he’s never let the Constitution get in the way of doing whatever he wants in the past—but I’m pretty sure that he would if he could.
What others had to say:
- Gosnell House of Horrors: Just One of Many Abortion Slaughterhouses – The New American
- News Today – National Right to Life
- Gosnell Verdict Exposes Inhumanity Of Obama And Democrats – Western Center for Journalism
- GOP House Members on Gosnell Abortion-Murder Convictions: ‘There Are Kermit Gosnells All Over America’ – CNS News
- A Verdict Doesn’t End the Gosnell Story – RedState.com
- Fetus. Fetus. Fetus. Fetus. Fetus. Fetus. – National Review